We love the tradition of advent and wanted to do our own special take on a calendar for The Vintage Round Top on the Round Top Historical Society Holiday Home Tour this year. It is super easy and rustic so no need to even use a template, just cut any size paper and glue it closed on one side to create a makeshift envelope. We listed the simple step-by-step below.
- A roll of craft paper (feel free to use any paper you wish; you'll just need a lot of it.)
- Hole punch
- Natural twine
- Glue (stick form works best)
- Printed number labels
- Goodies and Scripture or holiday quotes to fill your envelopes
- Print out number labels, 1 - 31, corresponding with the number of days in the month of December. We simply took a black circle graphic and typed the numbers in white over each circle, then printed them out. Cut them out.
- Cut out 31 pieces of craft paper, or the paper of your choosing, in all different sizes.
- Take one piece of craft paper and fold it into thirds, like a pamphlet with the edges over lapping. This is where you will glue the pieces together. Then fold up one side of the side of paper that isn't glued together and fold it over to create a closed edge on one side.
- Stuff it with treats, quotes and scripture to open and enjoy each day in December.
- Fold down the top opening and line up the number label on the front of the envelope.
- Hole punch through both the envelope and label and tie the natural twine through each. Leave enough string to hand from whatever you choose to hang these from but make sure they are all different lengths.
- Repeat the whole process until you have finished one envelope for each day in December!
Photo credit: Natalie Lacy Lange for The Vintage Round Top